The computerized descendant of the ancient Chinese strategy game
Always be sure that the power to your Odyssey2 console is turned off before inserting a game cartridge. This
protects the electronic components and extends the life of the
- Insert the cartridge into the slot of the Odyssey2 console with the label side of the cartridge facing the alpha-numeric
- Turn on the power by pressing the power button of the console.
SELECT GAME will appear on your TV screen. If it does not, press
the RESET key on the alpha-numeric keyboard.
(1 or 2 players)
- Press 0 on the alpha-numeric keyboard if you are playing on color
- Press 2 if you are playing on Black and White TV.
- The game is played on an 8 x 8 matrix. Four "armies" in two different
colors are at the center.
- A flashing question mark at the right hand side of the screen
is asking if the "armies" of that color are to be played by a
person or the computer.
- Press "yes" on the alpha-numeric keyboard for person. Press "no"
- If you have entered "yes," a second symbol will appear followed
by a flashing question mark. If you wish that color played by
a person, press "yes." If you want to play against the computer,
- If you have elected to play against the computer, the symbol for
microprocessor will appear on the screen.
- If you are playing against another person, individual timers will
appear separately at the top of the screen. Player one's timer
will appear first.
- You can enter up to 99 minutes of time for each player in the
game. Different times may be entered for each player to give a
novice more of a chance against an experienced player. If you
want to play with no time limit, enter 00 on the numeric section
of the keyboard.
- If you are playing against the computer, the microprocessor will
make its move instantly. It can make more than 100,000 electronic
decisions per second.
- The object of the game is to occupy as much of the matrix as possible.
- The game begins with two "armies" of each color at the center
of the matrix.
- The game ends when the board is filled or when neither player
can enter a move and capture and opposing "army." The player with
the most "armies" on the matrix is the winner. A running score
appears at the top of the screen throughout the game.
- Every entry must satisfy two conditions:
- An "army" must always be placed next to an opponents "army."
- One or more of the opposing "armies" must be trapped by the newly
entered "army" and another "army" of the same color. The trapped
"armies" will automatically change to the conqueror's color.
If these condition cannot be met, there will be an audio signal
and the player loses a turn.
- Use the joy stick of the hand control to position the box on the
screen where you want to locate an "army." Press the action button
to enter the "army" onto the screen. Player one uses the left
hand control. Player two uses the right hand control.
- Players may capture more than one army in different directions
on the same move. The directions may be in any horizontal, vertical
or diagonal straight line.
- Secret strategy hints.
- The corners are the most important strategic positions. Once an
"army" occupies a corner, it controls three directions. An "army"
commanding a corner position cannot be captured because it cannot
be surrounded on two sides in a straight line.
- The outside positions of the matrix are very important because
they effect five directions but are only vulnerable from two sides.
- Caution! Be careful before occupying the first rows inside the
perimeter of the matrix. They are jumping off points to the outside
and corner positions.
VERSION II: DIRECTIONAL DYNASTY
- Press 1 on the alpha-numeric keyboard if you are playing on color
- Press 3 on the alpha-numeric keyboard if you are playing on Black
and White TV.
- Enter player information and timer settings as per Dynasty rules
4 through 9.
- Directional Dynasty differs from Dynasty in only one way, but
it changes the game completely. Players cannot capture "armies"
in more than one direction on the same move. You must make a choice.
- When you enter an "army" into a position offering an option to
capture "armies" in more than one direction, the surrounded "armies"
will not change color automatically.
- Push the joy stick on the hand control towards the "army" or "armies"
you wish to capture. A second positioning box will appear in that
- Press the action button and the surrounded "armies" in that row
will change color automatically.
- It is very important to consider strategic position as well as
the number of "armies" open to capture when exercising a directional